Today’s topic: This special edition of Among Womenfeatures a discussion of the US Department of Health and Human Services’ decision to mandate all insurance carriers to cover expenses for contraception, sterilization procedures, and drugs that may induce abortions. This violates the conscience dictates of Catholic institutions throughout the USA. The US Conference of Catholic Bishops is determined to fight this and many Americans, especially Catholics, are up in arms, citing violations of religious freedoms.
Today’s Guests: This episode features a conversation with Elizabeth Scalia, managing editor at Patheos, and Kathryn Jean Lopez, editor at National Review Online. What follows are important links on this subject matter that frame the issue from a Catholic perspective.
Please listen, read, and share!
Links for this episode:
- Statement from Kathleen Sebelius at the US Department of Human Service, Jan. 20 2012. (aka “HHS Mandate”)
- USCCB press release
- “The Jesus Mandate vs The Obama Mandate” – Bishop Lori
- Video featuring Archbishop Timothy Dolan
- USCCB commentary & links to send letters to Congress.
- The Anchoress blog — Elizabeth Scalia
- “The Counter-Cultural Church has a Credible Yes” – Elizabeth Scalia at First Things
- “Obama’s Great Gift: Clarification” – Elizabeth Scalia at First Things
- K-Lo at Large blog — Kathryn Jean Lopez
- “HHS Mandate 101” — an interview from Kathryn Lopez at National Review Online
- “6 Things Everyone Should Know about HHS Mandate” – USCCB press release
- “Permanent Preventative Care” – Fr. Dwight Longenecker
- Freedom of Conscience petition at the White House